Menu Close

WEDA March 23, 2022 Meeting


3:30 PM PST (Reno, NV)        Roll call and introductions


Attendance: Doreen Hauser-Lindstrom, Barbara Betty. Pete Barcinas, Mike Gaffney, Ivory Lyles, Pete Pinney, Cody Stone, Kelly Crane, Jeff Goodwin, Wendy Powers, Suzanne Stluka – NIFA, Joan Boren, Kelly Crane, Lindsey Shirley, Jon Boren, Blake Naughton (joined at 3:00 PM).


3:05 PM          Feedback on WEDA/WAAESD meeting

  • Pete: love the presentations, dialogue, collaborative projects on the topics presented; joint topics related to water quality; purpose of WREN—appointed a GUAM representative for WREN; connects to the structure of marketing and the work that we do. We need to build capacity internally and across the institution.
  • Mike: the opportunity for conversations and connecting in the hallway to develop mutual opportunity for next steps; the importance of communication and documenting impact.
  • Ivory: ability to learn from co-workers in other states; challenging faculty and staff to work differently using social media; collaboration between states related to multistate projects—in addition to the national opportunities—what we can do at the regional and local level.
  • Pete: maintaining connection to the centers is important to enhance and expand multistate partnership; Build tribal college partnerships after the 1994s
  • Doreen: so proud to be working with the Western Extension Directors; fun and appreciate the relationships and connectivity
  • Barbara: opportunity to learn from peers; grateful to connect with each other again; encouraging faculty to be engaged with social media and the hero is the learner/participant
  • Cody: having an annual advocacy calendar on all levels (local, regional, statewide, national, tribal, etc.); need for a better understanding for collaboration with tribal institutions (7 reside in Montana)—there is more work to do; learning from peers and laughing—enjoying each other’s company.
  • Suzanne: listening and building connections between the needs of WEDA, etc. and NIFA programs and opportunities
  • Jeff: conversations, spending time together is important
  • Joan: reconnecting; being 3-D vs. 2-D; we have talked a lot about collective impact and the conversations today are essential to taking back to New Mexico
  • Kelly: meeting the needs of underserved audience—the presentation around partnering with tribal communities and institutions was beneficial; communication—clarification around roles and responsibilities in producing productive impact statements; slowly being convinced.
  • Wendy: 1994 discussion resonated even though there are not 1994 institutions in California; there are strategies to connect that will be taken back; everything that we do is framed around 22 condition change statements and motivating people to connect to the stories; communications, evaluations, donor units play off each other and it is important to build those connections; Pete’s example story of impact in the database.


WEDA Business Meeting

 Approve February WEDA meeting minutes – Lindsey Shirley on behalf of Blake Naughton.

Action:  Approved as submitted.


New Business:

WEDA committees

WPOLC—Ivory Lyles

Significant changes to WPOLC with participation from the states—several concerns:

  • Participation is challenging and is not at the level with many states participating
  • Members are wearing many hats—consider who and how we appoint individuals
  • Idaho has a rotation in the guidelines establishing how they appoint the chair and the next chair
  • What are the directors’ collective expectations regarding members and who should attend WPOLC; who should be the representative and what direction should they receive from the director; is there a continuing need for WPOLC—if so, why, and what is the mission? Are there duties that should go to other committees?
  • We need to support it or disband it—the name is a concern

WPOLC Suggested Description of Role and Duties

WPOLC Orientation Welcome Guide

Feedback from Directors

  • Cody—referring to our documents and identify the purpose statement “initiates and collaborates with WEDA to advance initiatives.

(The purpose statement from the website:  The Western Program & Organizational Leadership Committee (WPOLC) is appointed by the Western Extension Directors Association (WEDA) and is comprised of one person from each of the member institutions, who is able to represent all of the Extension administrative and program function of their institution. The committee initiates and collaborates with the WEDA to identify, coordinate, and provide leadership for advancing regional and multi-state initiatives, exploring extramural funding opportunities to support those initiatives, and address operational and organizational issues of importance to Extension member institutions. The WPOLC may appoint special committees and/or task forces with membership internal and external to the WPOLC, to assist and help coordinate Extension initiatives, programs, and operational and organizational work. The WPOLC reports to and meets jointly with the WEDA at least annually to discuss activities and outcomes of the past year, and to initiate and discuss priorities for the future. WPOLC also conducts the selection process for the Western Extension Awards of Excellence, and the Western Extension Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Award.)

  • Cody – There has been a strong movement away from only doing what WEDA asks to now taking the lead and initiative.
  • Barbara—the plan of work is strong and WPOLC has their own system to identify a chair and lead the work of the committee that has been effective
  • Ivory—Example of success—the mental health issue started in WPOLC; the stress multistate started; changes made to the diversity award—excellent impacts have been accomplished
  • Barbara—plan of work includes strong initiatives—program action teams; mental health; orientation for Extension professionals; training; WREN—do we want to continue the plan of work; are we committing to populating the committee
  • Kelly—what is the composition? (Review purpose statement above).
  • Cody— the membership is working on competencies related to leadership development—exciting work and continuing to help people grow as professionals; frustration that there are members who come, contribute, and do work—yet the dual roles that people must fill or states not consistently providing representation.
  • Mike—echoes the sentiment of occupational hazards associated with serving WEDA and WPOLC; partnerships with Western Rural Development Center
  • Wendy—state structures could be a limiting participation of individuals on the committee—some states do not have a person; there are multiple people who can contribute—one person has county staff, one has professional development, another has other responsibilities—at home our leaders are overbooked
  • Barbara—timing of meetings and scheduling—WPOLC meeting at separate times and then zoom in so there isn’t a splintering
  • Kelly—there are clear dividends to meeting together and the shared responsibilities that we need to collaborate on.
  • Doreen—Fall meeting of WPOLC is good; there is an empowerment when meeting with directors, the group can meet and respond to the needs of the directors—that is how WREN was born—feeling apart of the team.
  • Kelly—Disconnect, when it started it was program leaders, then it became associate directors, great opportunities for training successors for directors—have close connection to program, but also administrative duties.
  • Cody—4-H ECOP—pipeline for 4-H state program leaders; pipelines for associate directors and directors—who has the skill set to lead.
  • Ivory—the charge that we give the individual who represents WPOLC and make sure that the individuals attend all meetings—it needs to be a priority? Why aren’t they participating?
  • Barbara—there is a great need for WPOLC, we need to continue with the committee, each state needs to commit to having a representative serve and attend.
  • Ivory–self-reflection is important and WPOLC needs to put forth an action plan to solve this—can they create a job description, meetings, expectations, and specifics, etc.
  • Cody—WPOLC has agency and can take the lead—could we have an open conversation about next steps with the committee? Reinforce that we value it, and it is our desire to identify strategies to support the work of the committee.
  • Wendy—hesitates there being a mandate for someone to participate on the committee—what is the purpose of WRAM—should they be leading professional development.
  • Cody—WRAM purpose from website:
    • The WRAM planning committee, created in 2013, is comprised of those professionals from WEDA member institutions who are serving in state, regional, or district administrative roles for Cooperative Extension in their state/territory or U.S. protectorate. They meet together virtually and annually for an on-site conference to address strategies and issues related to personnel, budget, and other management functions and issues.
  • Jon—WRAM came from the regional/county director positions—from a need to discuss budget management, working with commissioners, they needed support and colleagues to be in community to share best practices with each other—they valued the offline conversations and having a cohort to strategize with.
  • Cody–maintain a database of peer reviewers.
  • Wendy—the database is very helpful and needs to continue.
  • Ivory—Director needs flexibility.
  • Barbara—WRAM purpose reinforced—meeting the first week of April


Motion to charge WPOLC to bring recommendations two weeks prior to the summer meeting to give WEDA the opportunity to review—what is their recommended solution and next steps. Motion by Ivory. Wendy seconded. There was further discussion:

  • Cody—concern—even though they are a committee of WEDA, want a collaborative relationship can we openly discuss during the afternoon meeting—I am not sure that we need a motion—
  • Ivory—we need a motion, I do not want to put WPOLC in an awkward position, this motion gives WPOLC the agency to make recommendations for next steps instead of WEDA deciding how they should function
  • Kelly— suggests a friendly amendment—WEDA membership enthusiastically supports the contributions of WPOLC and values their autonomy; they should decide who should be on it and how to increase participation.

Cody seconds the amendment, amendment passes. Motion unanimously carried.

Motion: WPOLC to bring recommendations two weeks prior to the summer meeting to give WEDA the opportunity to review, WEDA membership enthusiastically supports the contributions of WPOLC and values their autonomy; they should decide membership and how to increase participation; determine what are the next steps.


Blake Naughton joined the meeting.


ECOP Reports

Executive Committee – Wendy Powers

  • First in person next week in two years
  • Goal, action items (not just reports) on every topic
  • Agenda
  • Program Action Teams, support
  • Process for establishing ECOP priorities
  • How do initiatives evolve, emerge, come to ECOP (e.g., Excite, CLD3) and expectations or resources?
  • Building impact and relevance narrative, to support BLC and the annual asks
    • Vote next week Communications and Marketing Committee of APLU to make it a permanent standing committee of BAA (not ECOP)

ECOP Processes

Action – Directors should receive a ballot and be sure to vote and vote each time you get it (if you are an Extension Director and Area Head Section leader and you get it more than once.

Actionbe sure APLU list of those who vote is correctPlease send any correction to Doreen.


Program – Ivory Lyles

  • Applauds WPOLC for ensuring involvement in each PAT; moving in right direction and doing a good job in each area.
  • Consistent on CLD3. Affirm the need for big data and for decision making, but the directors feel relationship is broken and that it’s top down. Feels not co-created, not happy that there is a non-land-grant involved.
    • Lindsey: started as Data Science for the Public Good, with 4 LGUs and UVA, based on a case study pilot. The Gates Foundation is looking at feasibility for CES to scale the work in CLD3. Built program of community catalysts with training program, and to add to the 20-year-old Extension competencies (cultural, data, etc.).  Met with regions and others, including national advisory board, chaired by Kathy Wotecki.  Goal is to create a modern value proposition to incorporate data science.
  • Ivory: this didn’t go through Programs Committee
    • Wendy:  This is why we need a process for setting ECOP priorities.  ECOP Executive committee will be discussing this next week.  Various conversations happening with concerns.  Talking with Wendy and Scott Reed, Cathy Woteki Sally Keller on April 13. Also will be part of 3D funding, discussion on April 1.
    • Jon:  BLC was looking at fiscal part of this.
    • Ivory:  Effort is to slow it down by Programs Committee.


Professional Development – Barbara Petty

    • Designing May Learning for Leaders session (Extension and the new Normal in Connecting with Stakeholders).
      • Role of Extension in Public Health,
      • Virtual is the New Reality, and,
      • Extension Professional 2.0
      • Question:  Who is the audience? (Answer: TBD)
      • Award applications coming in.


BLC – Jon Boren

    • Unified ask was finalized for CARET/AHS meeting earlier this month.  First time sections came up with aspirational asks (rather than common percentages). Extension is $455M ask (FY21 – $315M, FY22 – $320M)
    • BAC endorsed $428M in the final ask.
    • Need to continue work to justify asks, the impact we have had and that we could have.


CLP – Jon Boren

  • Marshall Stewart (MO) and Rich Bananno (NC) are our reps, to work on Farm Bill.
    • Priorities:  reauthorization of S-L B&C, increase authorization to 3d amount, and supportive of 1890/1994 authorization request, and did not suggest increase in AFRI authorization level (now at $700M with a $420M appropriation), and recommended eliminating matching requirements for beginning farmer


4-H Youth Development – Cody Stone

  • Seeing the various collaborators in different roles to make it successful.
  • Started a cascading communications document or each meeting to be shared with us.
  • Finalist of ED for ECOP 4-H is identified. Announcement coming soon.
  • Possible AFRI proposal on national collection of 4-H data.
    • States now not required to submit ES237 data reports.  And states can define membership in new ways.
    • So looking at new data approach to tell 4-H story.
  • Encouraging 4-H stories in impacts database.
  • Request coming for onboarding materials for new 4-H Program Leaders.
  • Discussed Mackenzie Scott landmark gift of $50M to 4-H Council, with task force on how to use.
    • Wendy:  how to use as an opportunity to bolster gift in our states and local communities.
    • Cody:  will bring back to national, to show local story of this.
    • Could increase endowments (like B&G Clubs, Scouts, etc.) to launch campaign.
  • Suzanne (NIFA): how tied to other youth contacts (e.g., EFNEP).
    • 4-H Academy next version is coming to connect upper administration to 4-H.


JOE – Cody Stone

    • Has transitioned to Clemson as the host.
    • Over 182 reviewers, about 300 submissions annually.
    • Want in directory of Open Access journal, to get impact factor.  Will be called an “Open Access Publication Fee” instead of subscriptions.
    • 65k downloads a year. (Not just viewing but downloading.)
    • 60th anniversary coming up.
    • New editorial model, with 8 associate editors by discipline.
    • Will encourage institutions to have JOE “Ambassadors” to encourage submissions, use, editorial processes.
    • Cody can talk about importance to institutions not paying fees currently.


WEDA Special Project – Doreen Hauser-Lindstrom

    • Looking at percentages of various funding sources by state.


Action: Doreen will work with a data analyst and send out new final report. Discuss in next Zoom meeting.

    • ECOP took on and extended survey.
      • Requested by NIFA Director Carrie Castile and Bill Hoffman… still send on?  Generally ok to send on.  Kelly:  especially when asked specific questions and demonstrate the leverage.
      • Suzanne (NIFA) – maybe a data analyst could be assigned to it, to do more analysis.
  • Kelly: should aggregate and make an impact statement for the west, for WGA, etc.
  • Doreen: needs to tell story.
  • Wendy: Western region is highest and lowest of range.


Nominating Committee – Barbara Petty

    • NUEL Nominations – Brad Gaolach
  • WEDA has not had nominations for NUEL steering committee besides Eric Kilian from Nevada
  • Brad’s proposal: WCMER would take one of the three seats (but not as the role of running the regional network or being on the exec committee)
  • Mike: this is supported by WSU


Action: Motion from Mike: WCMER would take one of the three seats (but not as the role of running the regional network or being on the exec committee), seconded by Kelly.  Passed unanimously.


Action: Nomination from OR for (Portland metro Regional Director Angela Sandino) from Ivory.  Lindsey described as innovative with several examples working with schools and youth.

Motion by Ivory, seconded by Wendy. Passed unanimously


ED Evaluation – Cody Stone

  • Responsibility of past chair Cody
  • Cody and Barbara met with Doreen to discuss accomplishments and challenges. Comments were solicited by Cody and Barbara to WEDA members.
  • Process is to discuss then submit form to WSU as the employer.
  • Confidential discussion.

Action: Motion: Cody to renew contract; Ivory second.  Passed unanimously.


LGU of the Future Discussion – Lindsey Shirley

    • Key Ideas
  • Peer review / round table, report on issues, discussion, feedback, validation, trusted critics
  • Reach common definition of engagement, extension, and service, toward common currencies of success.
  • Curiosity certificate (rather than set playbook) around collaboration, reach, resources, innovation, and impact
  • From the original idea of a white paper; to a resource web page bringing together evidence-based practices and ideas
    • Creating safe cultures
    • Hiring on the skills and dispositions for the future
    • Curiosity tools and skill sets and leadership pipeline
  • Key to our future survival and relevancy
  • Purpose / Why: Built on our historical – Morrill act, international first – institutions of access to education.
  • Work / How: built on service (more than education and science) is why draws people to the work


Next meeting: May 10, 2022, via Zoom 3:00-5:00 PM PST

Print this entry