What is WELD?
A two-year leadership skills development program for Extension program faculty, agents, advisors, educators and specialists in the Western United States and territories/protectorates.
History & Objectives
In 1999, the Western Extension Directors Association created the Western Extension Leadership Development (WELD) committee, representing the 13 western states and 4 Pacific territories/protectorates, to investigate and develop a regional leadership training program for Extension professionals. Specific objectives are to have participants:
- Develop awareness and appreciation of their own and others’ leadership styles and learn to apply appropriate techniques in working with diverse individuals.
- Develop skills to enable themselves and others to develop and articulate organizational/group direction.
- Be able to enable the organization/group to effectively implement planned change.
- Develop skills to enable others to work together effectively.
Dynamic Learning Experiences
- A personal leadership inventory and assessment;
- A leadership seminar covering leadership styles, defining direction, working together through teams, community action process, ethical decision-making, and more;
- An individual innovative leadership project with support and resources, such as a case study documentation and mentoring relationships; and,
- A capstone seminar during which participants share their innovative projects.
- January 31, 2023 – State Extension Directors submit approved applications to WELD XII Planning Committee
- April 24-28, 2023 – WELD XII Seminar 1 – Tucson, AZ, Homewood Suites at St. Phillips Plaza
- September 2024 – WELD XII Seminar 2 – Colorado
The fee for the 15-month program is $1,800 per intern. This fee is generally covered by the intern’s Extension organization. The fee includes registration for two WELD seminars, leadership inventory activities, communication, training sessions, materials, and some meals. The registration fee does not include travel, lodging, and some meals, and is not refundable once an individual begins the WELD program.